Following up on the transformative commitments made at the Summit
A call to action by the SDG 4 High-level Steering Committee
The Transforming Education Summit aims to mobilize solutions to accelerate national and global efforts to achieve Sustainable Development Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all. Seven new Global Initiatives launched at the Summit will focus on such solutions to transform education:
1. Greening Education to get every learner climate-ready;
2. Connecting every child and young person to digital solutions;
3. Addressing the crisis in foundational learning among young learners;
4. Transforming education systems to enable all crisis-affected children and youth to access inclusive, quality, safe learning opportunities and continuity of education;
5. Advancing gender equality and girls’ and women’s empowerment;
6. Transforming the financing of education by investing more, more equitably, more efficiently, more innovatively;
7. Empowering young people to be effective leaders in reshaping education.
To ensure accountability, the Calls to Action emerging from the Global Initiatives must be monitored and followed up. We call on countries to build on the national SDG 4 benchmarking process, by:
1. Agreeing to set a small number of indicators, linked to the Global Initiatives, which will be added to the list of SDG 4 benchmark indicators.
2. Setting national targets for these indicators for 2025 and 2030. These will represent the transformation countries want to see coming out of this Summit. Progress towards them will be reviewed on an annual basis.
In addition, selected policy areas and the volume of financing linked to the Global Initiatives will also be monitored to assess whether country and development partner efforts are in the right direction.
This follow-up mechanism will be led by the SDG 4 High-level Steering Committee and coordinated by UNESCO, with the UNESCO Institute for Statistics and the Global Education Monitoring Report continuing their mandate for SDG 4 monitoring and reporting.